1) Back everything up!!!
2) Download/Install needed software
- PuTTY or equivalent SSH client
3) Temporarily Enable SSH
- We don’t recommend leaving SSH on permanently. SSH can be temporarily enabled via the ESXi vSphere. Step-by-step instructions can be found at: http://www.thomasmaurer.ch/2011/08/enable-ssh-on-esxi-5-via-vsphere-client/
3) Put the ESXi system into maintenance mode
- Make sure you have all of your VM’s backed up somewhere else just in case. While we have never had any corruption during an upgrade, it’s always wise to have quality backups prior to an upgrade.
4) Follow the steps below
- SSH into your system.
- Enable the httpClient (Copy/Paste the following command into PuTTY)
esxcli network firewall ruleset set -e true -r httpClient
- Perform the upgrade (Copy/Paste the following command into PuTTY)
esxcli software profile update -p ESXi-6.5.0-4564106-standard -d https://hostupdate.vmware.com/software/VUM/PRODUCTION/main/vmw-depot-index.xml
- Disable the httpClient (Copy/Paste the following command into PuTTY)