The Wall of Sheep would like to announce a call for virtual presentations from Thursday, August 6th to Sunday, August 9th. Packet Hacking (Virtual) Village Talks goal is to deliver talks that increase security awareness and provide skills that can be immediately applied after the conference. Our audience ranges from those who are new to security to the most seasoned practitioners in the security industry. Introductory talks are welcome.
Topics of interest include:
- Tools and techniques on network sniffing, intrusion detection, monitoring, forensics, log analysis
- General Digital Forensics and Incident Response (DFIR) talks
- Threat hunting
- Incident response process and procedures and/or recovery
- Hands-on spy level makup art (e.g., wigs, prosthetic noses, etc.)
- How to do refresh your system without losing all your stuff and eliminate malware
- Setting up cloud backups that withstand ransomware attacks
- How to justify hacking / security tools in the corporate world
- How to use regulatory compliance requirements in your favor to enhance your overall funding and security posture
- Security awareness program success and failure stories
- Tools for data collection and visualization
- Purple and blue teaming
- Business continuity planning for cyber war
The Wall of Sheep will not accept product or vendor related pitches. If your talk is a thinly-veiled advertisement for a product or service your company is offering, please do not apply!
All accepted talks will be announced, recorded, and published by Aries Security, LLC. Please see our YouTube channel for all talks from previous years: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnL9S5Wv_dNvO381slSA06w.
The Call for Presentations will close on Friday, June 26th at 11:59 PM PDT. The list of talks will be finalized and published on Wednesday, July 15th.
Each presentation slot is 1 hour maximum, including time for Q&A. If we have time and it is in line with our goals mentioned above, then there is a good chance you will be selected.
To submit a presentation, please provide the following information in the form below to cfp2020[at]wallofsheep[dot]com
Primary Speaker Name:
Primary Speaker Title and Company (if applicable):
Primary Speaker Email Address:
Primary Speaker Phone Number (to contact you if necessary during the conference):
Primary Speaker Twitter name (if you want it known if you are accepted):
Additional Speakers' name(s), titles, and social information:
Additional Email Addresses:
Is there a specific day or time you MUST speak by?
Name of Presentation:
Length of presentation: (20 minutes or 50 minutes)
Abstract (100 words MAXIMUM, absolutely necessary):
Your abstract will be used for the website. Summarize what your presentation will cover. Attendees will read this to get an idea of what they should know before your presentation, and what they will learn after. Use this to inform about how technical your talk is. This abstract is the primary way people will be drawn to your session. CFP reviews like to see what tools will be used and what materials you suggest to read in advance to get the most out of your presentation.
This text will be used for the website and printed materials and should be written in the third person. Cover any professional history that is relevant to the presentation, including past jobs, tools that you have written, etc. Let people know who you are and why you are qualified to speak on your topic. Presentations that are submitted without biographies will not be considered.
You must provide a detailed outline containing the main points and navigation through your talk. Show how you intend to begin, where you intend to lead the audience and how you plan to get there. The outline may be provided in a separate attachment and may be as simple as a text file or as detailed as a "bare bones" presentation. The better your outline then the better we are able to best review your presentation against other submissions (and the higher chance you have of being accepted). SUBMISSION NOTE: Presentations that are submitted without abstracts, outlines, or speaker bios (e.g., that have only PDFs, PPTs, or white papers attached or only point to a URL) will not be considered.
Additional supporting materials such as code, white papers, proof of concept, etc. must be sent along with this email to cfp2020[at]wallofsheep[dot]com to be considered. Note that additional files that may help in the selection process should be included. We are not asking for a complete presentation for this initial submission. That will only be required if you are selected for presenting.
Terms and Conditions
By submitting you agree to the Terms and Conditions below. Please read and accept these terms by inserting your name in the appropriate area, otherwise your application will be considered incomplete and returned to you.
Grant of Copyright Use
I warrant that the above work has not been previously published elsewhere, or if it has, that I have obtained permission for its publication Aries Security, LLC. and that I will promptly supply Aries Security, LLC. with wording for crediting the original publication and copyright owner. If I am selected for presentation, I hereby give Aries Security, LLC. permission to duplicate, record and redistribute this presentation, which includes, but is not limited to, the conference proceedings, conference CD, video, audio, and hand-outs to the conference attendees for educational, on-line, and all other purposes.
Terms of Speaking Requirements
1. I will submit a completed (and possibly updated) presentation and a reference to all of the tool(s), law(s), Web sites and/or publications referenced to at the end of my talk and as described in this CFP submission by noon PST, Wednesday, July 15th, 2020.
2. I will submit a final Abstract and Biography to the Wall of Sheep by noon PST, Wednesday, July 15th, 2020.
3. I will include a detailed bibliography as either a separate document or included within the presentation of all resources cited and/or used in my presentation.
4. I will complete my presentation within the time allocated to me - not running over the time allocation.