Call for Presentations at DEF CON 23
The Wall of Sheep would like to announce a call for presentations at DEF CON 23 at the Paris and Bally's Hotels in Las Vegas, NV from Friday, August 7th to Sunday, August 9th. The Wall of Sheep will be delivering talks that increase security awareness and provide skills that can be immediately applied after the conference. Our audience ranges from those who are new to security to the most seasoned practitioners in the security industry. Introductory talks are welcome.
Topics of interests include:
- Tools on network sniffing, intrusion detection and monitoring, forensics
- Tools for data collection (e.g., Yara, Cuckoo Sandbox)
- Python or Ruby programming for security practitioners
- Hardening the enterprise using open source tools
- Getting multi-vendor tools working together
- Tool/task automation and optimization
- Incident response process and procedures
This year, all accepted talks will be announced, recorded, and published by DEF CON Communications, Inc (yes, by the conference).
The Wall of Sheep will not accept product or vendor related pitches. If your talk is a thinly-veiled advertisement for a product or service your company is offering, please do not apply!
Each presentation slot is 1 hour, including time for Q&A. If we have time and it is in line with our goals mentioned above, then there is a good chance you will be selected.
To submit a presentation, please provide the following information in the form below to cfp2015[at]wallofsheep[dot]com
Primary Speaker Name:
Primary Speaker Title and Company (if applicable):
Primary Speaker Email Address:
Primary Speaker Phone Number (to contact you if necessary during the conference):
Primary Speaker Twitter name (If you want it known if you are accepted):
Primary Speaker Facebook page (If you want it known if you are accepted):
Additional Speakers' name(s), titles, and social information:
Additional Email Addresses:
Is there a specific day or time you MUST speak by?
Name of Presentation:
Your abstract will be used for the website and printed materials. Summarize what your presentation will cover. Attendees will read this to get an idea of what they should know before your presentation, and what they will learn after. Use this to inform about how technical your talk is. This abstract is the primary way people will be drawn to your session. CFP reviews like to see what tools will be used and what materials you suggest to read in advance to get the most out of your presentation.
Equipment Needs & Special Requests:
The Wall of Sheep will provide 1 projector feed, and microphones. If you need to use multiple outputs for a demo, please mention this below.
This text will be used for the website and printed materials and should be written in the third person. Cover any professional history that is relevant to the presentation, including past jobs, tools that you have written, etc. Let people know who you are and why you are qualified to speak on your topic. Presentations that are submitted without biographies will not be considered.
You must provide a detailed outline containing the main points and navigation through your talk. Show how you intend to begin, where you intend to lead the audience and how you plan to get there. The outline may be provided in a separate attachment and may be as simple as a text file or as detailed as a "bare bones" presentation. The better your outline then the better we are able to best review your presentation against other submissions (and the higher chance you have of being accepted). SUBMISSION NOTE: Presentations that are submitted without abstracts, outlines, or speaker bios (e.g., that have only PDFs, PPTs, or white papers attached or only point to a URL) will not be considered.
Additional supporting materials such as code, white papers, proof of concept, etc. should be sent along with this email to cfp2015[at]wallofsheep[dot]com. Note that additional files that may help in the selection process should be included. We are not asking for a complete presentation for this initial submission. That will only be required if you are selected for presenting.
Terms and Conditions
By submitting you agree to the Terms and Conditions below. Please read and accept these terms by inserting your name in the appropriate area, otherwise your application will be considered incomplete and returned to you.
Grant of Copyright Use
I warrant that the above work has not been previously published elsewhere, or if it has, that I have obtained permission for its publication by DEF CON Communications, Inc. and the Wall of Sheep and that I will promptly supply DEF CON Communications, Inc. and the Wall of Sheep with wording for crediting the original publication and copyright owner. If I am selected for presentation, I hereby give DEF CON Communications, Inc. and the Wall of Sheep permission to duplicate, record and redistribute this presentation, which includes, but is not limited to, the conference proceedings, conference CD, video, audio, and hand-outs to the conference attendees for educational, on-line, and all other purposes.
Terms of Speaking Requirements
1. I will submit a completed (and possibly updated) presentation and a reference to all of the tool(s), law(s), Web sites and/or publications referenced to at the end of my talk and as described in this CFP submission by noon PST, July 31st, 2015.
2. I will submit a final Abstract and Biography to the Wall of Sheep by noon PST, July 31st, 2015.
3. I will include a detailed bibliography as either a separate document or included within the presentation of all resources cited and/or used in my presentation.
4. I will complete my presentation within the time allocated to me - not running over the time allocation.
5. I understand that the Wall of Sheep will provide 1 LCD projector feed, 2 screens, and microphones. I understand that I am responsible for providing all other necessary equipment, including laptops and machines (with VGA output), to complete my presentation.
6. I understand that I will be responsible for my own hotel and travel expenses, and admissions to the DEF CON Conference.