Call for Presentations at DEF CON 22
The Wall of Sheep would like to announce a call for presentations at DEF CON 22 at the Rio Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, NV from Thursday, August 7th to Sunday, August 10th. The Wall of Sheep will be delivering talks that increase security awareness ranging from demos to hands-on trainings. This year, we are looking for content that focus on practice and process. In the past, we have accepted talks on "cool new attacks" and the latest security research, which is great, but not in line with our goal. This year for the speaker workshops we would like to provide skills that can be immediately applied after the conference. Our audience ranges from those who are new to security to the most seasoned practitioners in the security industry. Introductory talks are welcome!
Topics of interests include:
- Tools on network sniffing, intrusion detection and monitoring, forensics
- Tools for data collection (e.g., Yara, Cuckoo Sandbox)
- Python or Ruby programming for security practitioners
- Hardening the enterprise using open source tools
- Getting multi-vendor tools working together
- Tool/task automation and optimization
- Incident response process and procedures
The Wall of Sheep will not accept product or vendor related pitches. If your talk is a thinly-veiled advertisement for a new product or service your company is offering, please do not apply!
Each presentation slot is 30 minutes which should include time for Q&A. However, if you have an amazing presentation/workshop that would be 1-2 hours please feel free to submit it. If we have time and it is in line with our goals mentioned above, then there is a good chance you will be selected.
To submit a presentation, please submit the following information in the form below to firstname.lastname@example.org
Date of Submission:
Primary Speaker Name:
Primary Speaker Twitter name (If you want it known if you are accepted):
Primary Speaker Facebook page (If you want it known if you are accepted):
Primary Speaker Title and Company (if applicable):
Primary Speaker Email Address:
Primary Speaker Phone Number:
Additional Speakers' name(s), titles, and social information:
Additional Email Addresses:
Is there a specific day or time you MUST speak by?
Name of Presentation:
This text will be used for the website and printed materials. In a nutshell, what your presentation will cover. Attendees will read this to get an idea of what they should know before your presentation, and what they will learn after. Use these paragraphs to tell people how technical the talk is, what tools will be used, what materials to read in advance to get the most out of your presentation. This abstract is the primary way people will be drawn to your session. Presentations that are submitted without abstracts (e.g. that have only PPT or white papers attached or only point to a URL) will not be considered.
Equipment Needs & Special Requests
(The Wall of Sheep will provide 1 projector feed, and microphones. If you need to multiple output for a demo please mention below)
This text will be used for the website and printed materials. Cover any professional history that is relevant to the presentation, including past jobs, tools that you have written, etc. Let people know who you are and why you are qualified to speak on our topic. Presentations that are submitted without biographies will not be considered.
Terms and Conditions
By submitting you agree to the Terms and Conditions below, please read and accept these terms by inserting your name in the appropriate area, otherwise your application will be considered incomplete and returned to you.
* Grant of Copyright Use
- I warrant that the above work has not been previously published elsewhere, or if it has, that I have obtained permission for its publication by the Wall of Sheep and that I will promptly supply Wall of Sheep with wording for crediting the original publication and copyright owner.
- If I am selected for presentation, I hereby give the Wall of Sheep permission to duplicate, record, and redistribute this presentation; including video, audio, handouts(s) to the conference attendees for educational, on-line and all other purposes.
* Terms of Speaking Requirements
- I will submit a completed (and possibly updated) presentation and a reference to all of the tool(s), law(s), Web sites and/or publications referenced to at the end of my talk and as described in this CFP submission by noon PST, July 31st, 2014.
- I will submit a final Abstract and Biography to the Wall of Sheep by noon PST, July 31st, 2014.
- I will include a detailed bibliography as either a separate document or included within the presentation of all resources cited and/or used in my presentation.
- I will complete my presentation within the time allocated to me - not running over the time allocation.
- I understand that the Wall of Sheep will provide 1 LCD projector feed, 2 screens, and microphones. I understand that I am responsible for providing all other necessary equipment, including laptops and machines (with VGA output), to complete my presentation.
- I understand that I will be responsible for my own hotel and travel expenses.
Yes, I, (insert primary speaker name), have read and agree to the Grant of Copyright Use.
I, (insert your name here), have read and understand and agree to the terms as detailed in the Agreement to Terms of Speaking Requirements.